Victims of military sexual assault are never alone – no matter when or where assistance is needed. Marines and their families have immediate access to resources and referrals by calling their installation’s 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Line.
The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) Victim Advocates (VAs) and Sexual Assault Response Coordinators (SARCs) who staff these support lines are dedicated to getting it right. A single phone call may be the only chance SAPR VAs or SARCs get to make a difference in the life of a victim, so they are trained to give their best effort every time.
10 Things to Know about 24/7 Victim Support
- Anywhere – Each United States Marine Corps (USMC) installation has a 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Line to assist sexual assault victims with appropriate care and critical information.
- Anytime – 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Lines ring directly to cell phones held by the installation’s SAPR VA or SARC.
- Knowledgeable – All SAPR VAs and SARCs who answer the 24/7 Support Lines are credentialed by the Department of Defense (DOD) Sexual Assault Advocate Certification Program (D-SAACP).
- Dependable – No call by a victim ever goes unanswered. After five rings, a call to the 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Line is automatically forwarded to the DOD Safe Helpline.
- Local – After receiving a forwarded call, DOD Safe Helpline personnel will always try to connect the victim back to the appropriate installation 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Line.
- Supportive – Whether assisted by DOD or the installation’s SAPR VA or SARC, the victim will always be provided with immediate crisis support and referrals to appropriate services.
- Personal – If requested, a credentialed SAPR VA or SARC will meet with the victim within two hours of the initial call for any reason related to the sexual assault. It’s totally up to the caller.
- Confidential – Calls to the 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Lines and the DOD Safe Helpline are strictly confidential. Victims will not be asked for personally identifiable information.
- Professional – 24/7 Sexual Assault Support Lines are audited monthly to make sure the response system is timely, efficient, and effective and to correct any identified issues.
- Quality Care – The Marine Corps SAPR Program is committed to providing victims of sexual assault with comprehensive, quality care.
24/7 Sexual Assault Support Lines have connected hundreds of victims with a trusted, confidential source of support since 2010. Whether looking for specific information or just someone to talk to about a sexual assault, round-the-clock help is just a phone call away.
Click here to access the 24/7 helpline for your installation. If you are deployed or stationed at a non-USMC installation, contact your SAPR VA for assistance or call the DOD Safe Helpline at 1-877-995-5247.